Sunday 15 July 2012

Jagged Red Lines

Hey all, so here's my first test model painted. I'm quite happy with the results.

I used the guide for painting white from June's White Dwarf, using the new layer paint Ulthuan Grey and then highlighting the edges with the appropriately named 'White Scar' layer paint.

I experimented with a few different painting techniques on test models before I painted. I initially purchased a pack of clip-together marines, but I wasn't happy with it as a base, so put together a MKIII armour torso and legs to use to test some techniques.

I purchased some time ago the Let's Paint: White Scars DVD. The painter recommends a basecoat of Vallejo Azure (Shadow Grey), building up layers of highlights until you get to white. To give some indication of how long that takes, the DVD is four hours long. I tried it using citadel paints and it took me two hours for a single model. The results were pretty shoddy too. I find that when painting White it's better to keep it simple.

The pre-heresy time is by far the most interesting period, not least for White Scars, as it was before they adopted the Codex Astartes. This means that a pre-heresy White Scars army can get away with all sorts of tribal adornments, such as the horse skeleton here. In addition, they didn't have the stupid 'this way up' arrow on their right shoulder pads. This means that I can paint some tribal-looking jagged red lines (yes, that's why I gave this name to my blog).


I also plan to have some gruesome trophies on the bikes, further down the road: some skulls on spikes, or hanging at the end of chains (the marauder sprues are excellent for this).


2 comments:

  1. I think that biker came out very well. My only critique is that since WS carry everything with them into battle, the bike would likely be loaded up with extra gear and saddle bags. Something to consider for future models.

    Now that it is officially sixth edition, are you going to model all of your power weapons as lances?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, grateful for the feedback. That's a good point actually, I'm sure I have a few accessories knocking around in my bits box that I can use for other bikers.

    Nope, these are just hand weapons. I put them on simply because they look cool and suit the fluff. I don't think I'm going to use a significant number of power weapons in this edition. Challenges mean that when the sergeant dies it's wasted points.

    ReplyDelete