Friday 18 May 2012

A Born Again Space Marine

This blog is to document the collection, modelling and painting stages of my new White Scars pre-heresy jetbike army.

I'm also in the process of finishing painting a Black Templars army, and I'll be adding stuff to the blog on what I've painting, in between stuff about White Scars.

The BT are my first army after returning to Games Workshop for the first time since the second edition 40K. I've still got a few old rhinos and metal space marines from the very first Rogue Trader boxed sets. I thought initially that these would form the bulk of the army, but they have largely taken a backseat in preference to the new kits GW have released.

Overall, I'm massively impressed with how 'conversion friendly' the new plastic marines are. No longer do I need to take my junior hacksaw to repose some clunky lead models, or spend about 30 minutes in one position trying to superglue plastic to metal (only to find my hands are glued to the model).

The Black Templar kits, particularly the cool 'knight' heads and surcoat, are absolutely fantastic. I ordered enough to convert about 30-40 marines in Black Templar gear, easily more than enough for my 2,000 point army I'm putting together.

The Forge World BT transfer sheet is utterly amazing. I had some great fun applying some ornate scrollwork to a rhino I just painted yesterday.

So far I've painted about 20 marines and touched up six metal scouts I picked up second hand when I last 'dabbled' in the hobby about 10 years ago. I still have about half the army left to paint.

My White Scars stuff has been shipped, and hopefully I should have it in the next few weeks. By that time, I reckon I'm going to be finished with the BT entirely and ready to start a new project. I'll go over some of my White Scar purchases in the next few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment